- 1 1/2 cup uncooked Bashmati rice
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 2-inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves cashews
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ounces of cashews
- 2 ounces sultans (golden raisins)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Wash the rice several times and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Let the rice drain through a sieve for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil on a large skillet over medium-low heat and worked the onion until it is soft.
- Add the drained rice, cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaf, cashew and sultanas, and stir fry the mixture for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water to the pan with the salt and bring to boil, cover tightly. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, adding a little extra water during cooking if necessary, until the rice is tender and fluffy, and all the water is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf and cinnamon stick before serving
Submitted by: Mingma Lama