Lamb with Mustard Green
- 1 lb. Lamb, cu into 1/2-in cubes (can be substituted with chicken)
- 2 lbs. Fresh musturd greens, torn in small pieces
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon musturd seeds
- 1 teaspooon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup Nepali yogurt
- 1 cup lamb broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon dill weed Salt to taste
In a large bowl mix lamb meat with salt, pepper, cumin,
coriander, turmeric, and chili powder. In a non-stick sauce pan heat
clarified butter, splitter fenugreek and musturd seeds until they turn
dark. Add onions and sautee till brown. Put garlic and ginger paste,
and stir for 1 min. until the aroma of roasted garlic comes out.
Transfer the coated meat to the onion mixture. Stir and brown well.
Add yogurt and broth. Simmer in low heat till the lamb meat is tender
and the sauce has thickened up.
Increase the heat to medium, and begin adding musturd greens in batches.
Let each batch of the greens wilt down before adding another batch. Add
chopped dill weed, stir well. Increase the heat to high to evaporate
all the excess liquid. Do not over cook the musturd greens. Adjust
seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with roti, or rice.
Submitted by: Tulsi Regmi