Chicken-Shrimp Kabob Sekuwa
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut into 1-in. cubes.
- 1 lb. large shrimps, deveined
- 1/2 lb. perl onions
- 1/2 lb. cherry tomatoes
- Melted butter for basting
- Bamboo skewers (pre-soaked in cold water for at least 30 min.)
- ¼ cup chopped green onions for garnish
- 2 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons musturd oil
- 1 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 3 fresh red chilies
- 1 teaspoon pepper corn
- 1 teaspoon timur (szechwan pepper)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 in. ginger
- Salt to taste
In a blender, combine all the marinating ingredients to form a marinade.
In a large bowl, mix chicken and shrimps with the marinade. Allow
marinating for 4 to 6 hours.
Fire up a charcoal grill. Clean the grill surface thoroughly. Thread,
alternatively, the marinated chicken cubes, shrimps, and vegetables into skewers. Do not
overcrowd the skewers with pieces. Grill the skewered kabobs (sekuwa), frequently
turning and basting with melted butter until cooked through. Take the cooked sekuwas off the
grill and generously brush with melted butter before serving.
To serve, arrange the sekuwas on the bed of rice pilaf, complimented with a
chutney(achar) of your choice on the side. Sprinkle chopped green onions over the
sekuwas. Tomato achar or cilantro-chili achar make an ideal condiment for sekuwas.
Submitted by: Tulsi Regmi